Saturday, December 18, 2010

Eating out on an alkaline diet

In today's culture social events, family events, and work events revolve around food. Especially this time of year when people are celebrating the holidays.  Alkaline food is not typically found on the menu as the standard American diet is made up of acidic foods.   

I've been on an alkaline diet for 6 months and have had occasion to find ways to blend social eating with my diet.  In restaurants, I usually order a salad with dressing on the side or none at all. Most dressings are filled with dairy, sugar, and vinegar. I usually ask for a few lemon wedges to squeeze over the top.  I also ask for no cheese.  Then, despite my husband's embarrassment, I've been known to carry an avocado in my purse to cut up once inside the restaurant.  Depending on how comfortable you are in the restaurant you may or may not want to attempt that.

Most if not all breakfast foods are acidic including sausage, eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes, waffles, french toast, hash browns, oatmeal, and omelets, etc. So when I have gone out to breakfast I have taken food with me.  I blend a veggie smoothie before hand, put it in a container with a lid that fits tightly such as a canning jar, and carry it into the restaurant in my purse. Then when the food arrives, I pull it out and enjoy.  When the server asks me what I'd like to order I say I'm on a special diet and don't wish to order.  I've done this twice and the restaurants have seemed just fine with it.

If you have any type of professional job and have attended day or week long conferences you know how acidic the food can be.  My purse is my life saver in this situation, too. I carry a few veggie sticks or an avocado to snack on. Then if possible I ask for a vegetarian meal, which is not completely alkaline but is better than the alternative.

At family, work, or other social events I have volunteered to bring a food item.  I have brought alkaline soup, a salad, or a veggie tray. I have also eaten ahead of time and then enjoyed the social time instead of eating.

I have yet to find a restaurant that serves a fully alkalizing meal.  Maybe in the future we will see restaurants advertising alkaline menu options. Until then, I say whatever you can do to make eating socially work for you is fair game. Any ideas to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment